Monday, July 9, 2007

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) review


The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is another game that was originally going to be made just for the Gamecube, though, unlike Super Paper Mario, was released on both consoles. Now, there is a reason why this series is so overwhelmingly outstanding and successful. Its because these games are great. I'm sure many people were afraid whether or not the brilliant formula would fair well with the Wii, though with hours of play time, I can absolutely say that it does! People have stated that the Wii's controls feel tacked on with TP, though to be honest, I think its better than the others in the series.

Before I got the game, I was even afraid that I wouldn't be able to get accustomed to the new gameplay style of Twilight Princess, though despite my apprehensive behavior, I instantly fell in love with the game once I booted it up. Before you venture through the first dungeon, you'll have to play a couple hours, which pretty much teaches you how to play the game, and use the items efficiantly. You'll obtain a few essintial items before your first dungeon, such as the sword, sling shot, ext. Each item is different, and most take advantage of the Wii's stlye of play. For example, to swing a sword, you must (gently, for God's sake) swing the Wiimote. To aim the slingshot, bow and arrow, hookshot, ball and chain, or any other aiming item, you'll aim using the wiimote. To make your silent protagonist move though, you'll just have to manage using the joystiq as you have been doing so since Ocarina of Time.

The dungeons are amazing, and, contrary to a lot of people's opinions, I think the bosses are great. While they might not deal much damage, they are often times tough to defeat. It took me a while to kill that large skeleton boss, though it was an unforgetable fight that really made you think. The puzzles are, atleast to me, much harder then they used to be. It was almost embarrassing, as I had to consult my guide multiple times for help.

The selling point of this game is the brilliant fact that you can transform into a wolf once you enter the twilight domain (and, later on int the game, when ever you please). The wolf form opens up a whole new level of possibilities, and is one of my favorite parts. Once you turn into a wolf, you'll also meet the new and coo character Midna, whom will be with you for most of the game, and will also help you out a great deal.

The graphics are also pretty good. They may not be up to par with PS3 or 360's, though I really couldn't give a &*#%.

The landscape is also huge. It can take forever to get from one place to another. Many of the areas in this game were from Ocarina, though the only REAL similarities are the fact that they hold the same name, and in some cases the same species.

The music, on the other hand, isn't as impressive as previous installments. Of course the theme song is outstanding, though thats all they really have to offer that made me say "wow". Some of the tunes are updated from Ocarina, though they just HAD to leave out the brilliant Gerudo Valley music from Ocarina of Time. If this is some kind of sick joke, then I am not amused Nintendo. Though no matter what, you can't argue that the theme song for this game is one of the best Zelda songs.

Overall, I give this gem a 10/10. It doesn't get much better than this.

No comments: