Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Comic reviews - Booster Gold #1, Countdown 37, Ultimate Spider-Man #112

Alright, this is a week late, so I'm sorry. It's sad that I'm writing this as all the new comics are coming out... But none-the-less, it's gotta be done, so here I go-

Booster Gold #1
Booster Gold was a classic Justice League character in my opinion, and while he sadly desides not to join the team in this issue, it's still great to seem him coming back. It still has the classic charm as before, and the characters, including his many greats grandfather (he's from the future, btw), are just perfect for the series. The art isn't perfect, though that doesn't mean it's not brilliant. The writiing, on the other hand, is nearly perfect... Awww, I just loved this issue!

9/10

Countdown 37
Last week's issue was one of the few great issues of Countdown, and while I thought that they'd maybe, just maybe continue to be good, this one just isn't! The plot seriously goes no where, and the big "shock" was that someone found out someone's identity, which I trully couldn't care less about. The character featured in the story are just not that great, at first I like the Trickster and Piper, though it's all just a big "meh" now. Oh well....

5/10

Ultimate Spider-Man #112
Alright, first thing first, the most important part of this issue is the art for an obvious reason - after 111 issues, the original artist has left, and a new one has come in. Like a lot of people, I was worried it wouldn't be for the better, and like many series (I'm looking at you, Ultimate Fantastic Four), it just goes downhill in terms of art. Thankfully, I like the style of the new artist, and while I wouldn't say it's better than Mark's, I wouldn't say it's worse either.

The story is a beginning of a new arc titled "The Death of a Goblin", which I don't know about you, but I think will be an awesome story. So far, though, the Norman Osborn story didn't go as far as I wanted, though the fact that the cover of next month's issue has the Goblin on it (and nothing else) is a good sign that he'll be a major part (obviously as expected). I also like this Kitty Pryde issue going on with Peter Parker, though I'm sure it'll all just end with Peter going back to Mary Jane.

8/10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I just finished reading USM 112: they did the same mistake they did on Ultimate Fantastic Four and on Ultimate x-Men. The new graphic style doesn't have anything to do with Bagley's. They should understand that the penciler contributes to the story. So as you can't place any writer on a series (even if he is good) you can't place any penciler on any series. I think the only Ultimate title I'll read is Ultimates. Yes, they changed graphic direction hiring Madureira. But I'm not against changing..the point is..the change must make some sense!

Anonymous said...

I agree. The characters don't look anything like they used to! It doesn't feel like ultimate spiderman.